Thursday, December 27, 2007

BOOK OF THE YEAR 2007

Choosing my favorite book of 2007 was no easy task. It always comes down to personal preferences. I loved all the novels on my Top Ten List, each for different reasons. Choosing NEFERTITI by Michelle Moran from the Final Three was even more difficult, of course. Although all three were written most excellently with elements I love, NEFERTITI had absolutely everything I love in a story.

I've always been a history buff. I majored in it and I home educate my children with the Classical Method which has history as its backbone. I go through phases of fascination and right now I'm fascinated with Ancient History. NEFERTITI is set in Ancient Egypt. Quite simply, that's what put it over the edge from the rest of the list. The funny thing is I can't imagine writing a story set during ancient times myself! Well, okay, I do have a couple in the back of the head, but I am no where near ready to flesh them out.
.
So, NEFERTITI is set in Ancient Egypt. What I also love about it is the variety of characters. Michelle once told me she has a hard time with characterization. You can't tell by reading her novel. Other authors probably know when we have a weakness we work twice as hard to overcome it, right? I know I certainly do. It really shows. Yes, there is Nefertiti, the ambitious, almost totally self-absorbed teenaged queen who grows into a paranoid, possessive pharoah wanna-be. The story is told by her level-headed sister, Mutny, who is two years younger. There's romance, but not for Nefertiti. As Mutny says, "Nefertiti doesn't fall in love. Men fall in love with Nefertiti." There's a domineering mother-in-law, Mutny's hardworking, altruistic parents, the Other Woman Kiya who's constantly threatening Nefertiti's position as Number One, lots of babies (gotta have babies!), and a sexy, self-absorbed Psycho Prince.


.


No! Not him!


.


Akhenaten The Heretic King. He starts out as a totally buff 17 year old, who flunked out of Megalomaniacs Anonymous I'm sure.


.


Ooh, but there are a lot of nice kilts in this story (Kimber sighs and rests hand in chin to gaze at Yul Brynner's picture.)

.

Oh, wait! Sorry. Back to NEFERTITI. One of the very nice kilts belongs to Mutny's true love, in fact. So, you see, the girl who deserves the romance, gets it.

.


The plot twists around itself and esculates from Mutny's relationship with her sister and her sister's path to destruction. There is a Happily Ever After, but it comes at great cost. I think this makes it more believable.




NEFERTITI made the L.A. Times Bestsellers' List and went back for a second printing lickety-split.
.
Michelle's next novel, THE HERETIC QUEEN is due out Autumn 2008.
.
The deal for the next novel after that, CLEOPATRA'S DAUGHTER, has just been negotiated. It's about Cleopatra's three surviving children with Marc Antony. Naturally, I always wanted to know what happened to them myself!
.
Michelle's had a stellar year! Way to go, Michelle.
;)
.
Michelle's website: http://michellemoran.com/
Michelle's blog: http://michellemoran.blogspot.com/



I reviewed NEFERTITI on May 16th. You can click on May or on Michelle Moran's heading in the directory. The review is at the bottom of her list of columns.

8 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

That was hilarious! Well done.

Michelle Moran said...

The Queen would like to take this opportunity to thank Kimber for recognizing her beauty, greatness, and amazing outfits. ;]

But seriously, thank you Kimber! Not just for accepting an ARC, but for taking the time to review it as well. And I hope you have a fantastic New Year filled with all of the success you deserve!!!!

Kimber Li said...

Thanks, Tia and Michelle! I couldn't have done it without Yul.
;)

Josephine Damian said...

I made a bet with myself you'd pick this one as the best!

No, I haven't read it yet (I did read your review from months back) but will put it further up on my TBR list now that you've given it the top spot.

Kimber Li said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimber Li said...

So, what'd you win in that bet?
:o)
I'm rereading NEFERTITI right now, in fact. I have to hurry, but I don't want to and it's a tough book to hurry through. My new Master Schedule kicks in pretty soon though, and I won't have time for such luxories as rereading favorite books again for a while.

December 29, 2007 11:03 AM

Tia Nevitt said...

Happy New Year, Kimber! You inspired me to try to come up with my own favorites.

Kimber Li said...

Cool! I'll pop over and check them out.

Everybody, all you got to do is click on Tia's username. Her blog is listed at the bottom of her page.