Thursday, January 1, 2009

A WALLFLOWER CHRISTMAS by Lisa Kleypas



I know, I know this is a Christmas romance and it is after Christmas but gosh, this book is so very good that I had to talk about it. I'm a BIG, HUGE, SUPER Lisa Kleypas fangirl. One of my fave novels ever is Devil In Winter.

Well, a buddy asked me if A Wallflower Christmas was better than Devil In Winter and I actually had to think about it. It is THAT good.

The story isn't that special. American Rafe Bowman (Daisy and Lillian's devil may care brother) has come to London to find a wife. The woman, his demanding, blackmailing father has decided upon, is the beautiful and very proper Natalie Blandford. The problem is… wooing this paragon of virtue may be difficult. The girl is in demand. So they (the Wallflowers and Rafe but mostly the Wallflowers 'cause Rafe doesn't really care) reach out to Natalie's companion, Hannah, in an attempt to gather some inside information.

You can guess what happens. The passion between Hannah and Rafe sizzles. And that is when they're fully clothed (most of the 216 page novel – there's a naked bit at that end though). They only have to look at each other and we feel it. As Rafe puts it, Hannah makes him "want to be very, very bad." The fast, witty dialogue sparkles. The Wallflowers are interwoven as richly developed secondary characters. A Wallflower Christmas is a wonderful Regency, now residing on my keeper shelf.

Now, this hard cover shorter work is a bit pricey (full retail is $16.95 U.S.) but for Lisa Kleypas fans, it will be worth it. If you haven't read a Lisa Kleypas novel, start with the lower priced Devil In Winter. It is my favorite.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Sounds good. I really like Kleypas.

Mehak said...

i love lisa kleypas, and devil in winter is one of my favorites too... there are such sweetly written scenes, specially the one where they decorate the christmas tree.. :)