Tuesday, May 12, 2009

LONE RIDER BODYGUARD by Harper Allen

The next one's YA Fantasy, I swear. It's just that with all these awesome pregnancy hormones raging through me, I can't resist a Romance novel with a hunky guy and a baby on the cover. And I don't even read Romantic Suspense, which what this book is.
.


Dang. Don't you just hate giving birth on the side of the road? Help finally arrives and he's the hottest guy you've ever seen. Well, I've given birth with the hottest guy I've ever seen beside me going on four times now, but he's my husband and I already know he can handle the blood and screaming. Poor Susannah's on the run, a new widow, and Tye shows up to catch the baby, but she doesn't know who the heck he is and nearly blows his brains out with her trusty revolver.
.
Having helped deliver baby horses, Tye isn't too freaked out by the process. Susannah didn't really love the father of her baby, so she gives her son Tye's name for a middle name. He takes her to safety, but winds up coming to her rescue a few more times.
.
Seems Susanna had a good reason not to love her husband, though she didn't realize it at the time. He was mixed up with some shady characters and now they're after her. She recovers from childbirth and a friend who took her in gets murdered coming after her. The bad guys almost kidnap the baby. And, goshdarnit, those awesome breastfeeding hormones are getting the better of her around Tye.
.
The plot expands when some legendary dude named the Skinwalker appears to have an interest in her baby, a Navajo horse guy is discovered beaten up.
.
The romantic tension lasts longer than many Romance novels, simply because the Heroine has just given birth and can't yet enjoy the physical act and the Hero is man enough to understand that. And so they find, ahem, other ways to make love in the meantime.
.
Like I mentioned, I don't normally read Romantic Suspense, but this was a feel-good, heroic read with plenty of romantic tension, noble hearts, and a baby too. What a deal. Couldn't find a website for Harper Allen, but here's her bio at Harlequin- http://www.eharlequin.com/author.html?authorid=6

No comments: