Thursday, May 3, 2007

TRIALS AND TRIBBLE-ATIONS a Star Trek novel by Diane Carey


I may have to relinquish my status as a Trekkie for saying this, but I don't like most Star Trek novels. I don't like most Star Wars novels either. The exceptions are those written by Diane Carey, Timothy Zahn, Kevin J. Anderson, and whoever wrote TATOOINE GHOST.

TRIALS AND TRIBBLE-ATIONS by Diane Carey was a novel based on a Star Trek Deep Space Nine episode which was written by Ira Steven Behr, Hans Beimler, and Robert Hewitt Wolfe based on an original Star Trek episode entitled 'The Trouble with Tribbles' which was written by David Gerrold. Confused? I sure am! A huge part of Diane Carey's brilliance is in her ability to write a novel like this in the first place. Don't think for an instant this is easy just because the story's already there! I've tried writing stories using characters created by someone else. It's incredibly difficult and frustrating! I had to accept that I'm not suited for it at all. Not only does Diane Carey do it, but she does it extremely well.

The story of TRIALS AND TRIBBLE-ATIONS starts on Deep Space Nine with the arrival of temporal investigators who want to know why Captain Benjamin Sisco (the sexiest voice in the Star Trek universe) took the starship Defiant back in time. Captain Sisco proceeds to tell how a Klingon disguised as a human used the Bajoran Orb of Time to take them back in time. This rascal, Arne Darvin, meant to murder Captain James T. Kirk in revenge for humiliating him decades before.

Darvin plants a bomb in a tribble. The DS9 crew must find it before it can explode and kill one of the most influential men in history. Hilarity ensues as the tribbles consume grain and breed with speed that would drive a bunny rabbit insane with jealousy. In the strictest sense, there is no romance in this story. But, uh, Jadzia Dax does get the hots for Mr. Spock. And Dr. McCoy. With her appetite, it's no wonder she eventually marries a Klingon!

As for a Happily Ever After ending, again, it's not in the strict traditional sense. But, if you're a Trekkie, you'll probably agree that another romp with the tribbles and knowing they get the chance to re-populate their species after being exterminated by the Klingons makes for a very happy ending indeed.

Diane Carey has written a bunch of novels, several of which are set in the Star Trek universe. You can grab any one of them off the shelf at a bookstore and feel confident you're getting a good read.

3 comments:

Cellophane Queen said...

I saw Jerry Oltion recently and learned that he and his wife were signed up to write a Star Trek novel. It seems like these are 'shopped' to authors and they give them about 6 weeks to come up with a draft. Brain wanders, so I'm not sure of the restrictions.

Me? I'm a purist. Original series, TV only. I don't like disappointments with novelized shows.

LadyBronco said...

I loved this episode on DS9 - I'm going to have to buy the book now.

(DS9 was my favorite Star Trek series by far)

Kimber Li said...

Marva, I think you have a point with the disappointment factor. Maybe that's why I don't like most Star Trek and Star Wars novels. I have the movies and t.v. shows fixed in my memory and when the book doesn't live up to that image, then I'm not a happy reader.

Actually, the original series episode that this book was based on 'The Trouble with Tribbles' is my favorite Star Trek episode of all time.

Lady B, I loved all the shows, but I'd have to say that Deep Space Nine would narrowly edge out the others in a race for favorite with me. The breadth and dimension of the characters and stories were just so much deeper. Captain Sisco was great dad and you all know how I feel about great dads. Plus, like I said, he had the sexiest voice in the Star Trek universe!