Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday News, Part 2: Why I Pass On Reviewing Some Books

Hey again, Blog Buds. I forgot my weekly feature 'Why I Pass Over Reviewing Some Books.' Here is the photographic metaphor:The Endless Parade of Sameness.
.

I've complained about it before. I go into the store and all there is in the Historical Romance section is cowboys and Scottish kilts. Now, I grew up in the Wild West and I like Men in Kilts just as much as the next red-blooded American Girl, but...puh-leeeeze! There's thousands of years of human history to choose from, People!
I may be missing out on some great stories too, because it certainly isn't one single author's fault she happened to release a cowboy romance the same time as a dozen other authors. I realize there isn't a vast blogosphere-wide conspiracy to make Kimber An gag.
.
Now, I know a lot of readers have their preferences. Some only read Romance. Some only read Romantic Suspense. Some people only read Fantasy. That's fine. For them. But, I'm a girl who likes variety. Don't get in my way in the buffet line!
.
The good news is I've found new sources for variety in storytelling - ePublishers and Small Presses. No. They are not all Erotica. Not anymore. Erotica is only a slice of the pie now. Oh, I still like the big guys, but it's nice to have more choice.
.
Choice is the whole reason I moved to Alaska, by the way. I woke up one day and decided I was ready to get married. I heard the men outnumbered the women 10 to 1 in Alaska. So, I moved here, walked into a room with about thirty guys, studied the selection and picked my future husband out. "I'll take that one." Not kidding. Over a decade and four babies now. Choice is a good thing.
;}

5 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

Oh, man; you are hilarious!

Joining the military is another good reason to find husbands. Although I didn't join specifically to find a husband, I found my husband of almost 20 years within the first six months.

Kimber Li said...

Ah, yes, the military is one of the reasons Alaska has such a high male population. We have several bases up here. I thought I'd end up with an Air Force guy, but married an Army Brat instead. It's a good thing too. I couldn't have handled the long separations a military spouse must endure. I don't have that kind of strength.

Robyn said...

Mmmm, Yul Brenner. Even when he donned a wig to play Jean LaFitte he was the sexiest man alive.

Kimber Li said...

Mm-mmm, Yul Brynner left womankind such a wonderful legacy. I have Yul Brynner clones in all three of my novels which are in Queryland. Yeah, I'll try for more variety in future stories, but...sheesh...Yul Brynner is kind of like Dark Chocolate. I like all candy (unfortunately) and I never get sick of any kind of chocolate. But, Dark Chocolate is definitely my runaway favorite!
;)

Heather Massey said...

Keep on Yul-ing!! I just *adored* him in THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN.