Thursday, November 6, 2008

POSSESSED BY THE HIGHLANDER By Terri Brisbin



Marian made a choice five years ago. She rescued a child from certain death by claiming her as her own. For an unmarried medieval lady, that decision brought with it serious consequences. She was branded the Robertson Harlot and brutally banished from her clan. Now she and her 'daughter' Ciara live on the outskirts of society. Marian has changed her appearance and stays to herself, determined to give Ciara a normal life.

This is challenging to do when Duncan, peacemaker and negotiator for the neighing clan, takes notice of her. Marian's brother, in an attempt to assuage his own guilt, forces a marriage between the two. During the wedding night, Duncan, of course, realizes that the Robertson Harlot is no harlot and Ciara can not possibly be her daughter. He's stuck. He can't trust Marian without the truth but Marian won't share the truth without trust.

I'm a couple months behind on my Harlequin Historical reading and was kicking myself for leaving this wonderful August release so long. Possessed By The Highlander (silly title, great story) by Terri Brisbin is a story of what one woman will do for love. And we're not talking simply the love between a woman and a man. Marian would die (and almost does) for her child. She sacrifices everything for her family.

Sweetly, the smooth talking Highlander falls in love with the child first. Ciara plays an integral part of the story. She is never more than a page or two away from her adoptive mother and new father. She isn't a perfect child but she is a normal one.

Stories of adoption are rare in Medieval romances. That alone would get some notice from me (as the hubby and I can't biologically have children). However, the story is so enticing, the characters so engaging and unique, it now ranks as one of my favorite Highlander romances.

This is a Harlequin Historical so there are some sensual scenes but nothing too spicy. There isn't much violence at all.

For an excerpt from Possessed By The Highlander, visit Terri's website at http://www.terribrisbin.com/ .
Note: I'm not a fan of the excerpt. The hero is not himself during it (can't say more, a spoiler) so his actions and speech reflect that.

6 comments:

Robyn said...

OOO! Can I be possessed by a highlander? MEmemememe!

I know it's a period that's been done to death, but I can't help it. I ADORE highlander stories, and this one sounds good. With the mortality rate back then, you'd think taking in other's children would have been common.

Terri Brisbin said...

K --

I'm so glad you liked this book - it is one of my favorites that I've written and I love men and women of honor and the problems they make for themselves! And every time I swear I will not write another historical that involves a child....I write one!

Thanks for the review!

Terri B

www.terribrisbin.com

Kimber Li said...

So, maybe my Historical Romance about a Knight in Shining Armor who also happens be a doting dad wouldn't be so bizarre?

Kimber Chin said...

Kimber An,
I would love to read a doting dad Knight. I also keep hearing medieval is coming back.

Kimber Chin said...

Wowsers, Terri dropped by!
Hi Terri, love your books (obviously).
Keep on writing great stories with real, interesting (or really interesting, LOL) characters!

Kimber Chin said...

Robyn,

I wouldn't mind being possessed by this Highlander hero. LOL

I don't really think a period can be done to death. There are so many different combinations of characters and personalities.

Margaret Moore recently said something like 'so many stories, so little time' and she's written almost 50 medieval romances.

I have a list of about 20 stories I would like to write. If only I wasn't addicted to the business stuff. (grinning)