Sunday, November 25, 2007

Children's Books for Christmas, Part 4

This is the last Sunday I'll be posting my recommendations for Children's books for holiday gift-giving.
.
First up, for babies through Kindergarteners, we have IS YOUR MAMA A LLAMA by Deborah Guarino. One of my children loves this one so much, she loves it to shreds and we have to buy a new copy about every six months. This has been going on since she was a baby. We always buy the copies new, so the author and illustrator should be very pleased we're funding their retirement.

Second, we have another book for the toddlers through Kindergarteners. My son absolutely loves this one. Maybe it's because it's a father/son story and he just adores his Dad. Oh, and he loves pizza too! LITTLE NINO'S PIZZARIA by Karen Barbour.



Dads are doing great today. Here's another Dad story my children love - PAPA PICCALO by Carol Talley. This is the story of a bachelor cat who gets adopted by two orphan kittens. It's a great affirmation of the value and importance of Great Dads.

For age eight and above, THE CHRONOCLES OF NARNIA by C.S. Lewis is a necessity of childhood. Get the boxed set. I'm highly critical of good Fantasy for any age group and I think this series is the best place for a child to start in that genre. I'm also one who is extremely careful about when my children start reading what. This depends on the child's level of comprehension and that's why it's vital to really know the child in question.

Finally, if you didn't find what you were looking for in this series of Sunday recommendations, I suggest popping over to the PBS website and accessing the web page for the show, READING RAINBOW, which is hosted by LeVar Burton. He's the actor who portrayed Geordi LeForge on STAR TREK ENTERPRISE. This is a show that's been running for over a decade, I think. You will find tons of book recommendations there!
http://www.pbskids.org/

No comments: