Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sometimes I Don't Get the ARC

THE FAERIE PATH is the first in a Young Adult Fantasy trilogy by Frewin Jones about the long-lost daughter of Titania, Queen of the Faeries. I want them bad, but there weren't any ARCs left for me. (Kimber cries and stomps foot) Luckily, our local library has them. This is a case of an author whose books are so popular he doesn't need a puny little blogger like me posting reviews for him. Darnnit. I like faeries and mermaids and Celtic fairytales and Shakespear and such.
NOBODY'S PRINCESS is the first in a series about the childhood of Helen of Troy. It portrays a very different Helen than anyone else ever has. This Helen is out to kick some major ancient butkis. Unfortunately, there were no ARCs left for me on this one either. Boo-hiss. Worse yet, they're not in our local library. I think my younger gal pals would've loved it too!
.

BUT, SOMETIMES I DO GET THE ARC!
THE RED QUEEN'S DAUGHTER by Jacqueline Kolosov was one I was sure was too popular for puny little me to get and, besides, I may have missed the ARC distribution deadline. However, my policy on requesting ARCs is 'It doesn't hurt to ask.' Well, I did ask and Ms. Kolosov emailed right back that she'd be happy to send one! This Fantasy/Historical tells the tale of the daughter of King Henry VIII's last wife, Katherine Parr. Her name is Mary and she was orphaned as a baby. She grows up to serve Queen Elizabeth I, determined not to make her mother's mistakes. Marriage subjugates a woman in that time period. But, can she resist the lure of romantic love? The fact that she's magical and so is her love interest adds to the intrigue.
.
Oh, I must remind you that I'm reviewing the second novel of one of my Blog Buddies, Lisa Shearin. Pop in tomorrow for my take on ARMED & MAGICAL.

Also on the Blog Buddy front, I'm hoping Susan Grant's next release, MOONSTRUCK, will arrive soon. I need to receive an ARC and start reading by Friday in order to review it by the following Thursday. If it does arrive by Friday, I may just bump it to the top of the To-Be-Reviewed List because, well, I give preferential treatment to my Blog Buddies and it's my blog so I can if I want to, so there! Normally, I review ARCs in the order they are received. ARCs take precedence over other books too, which means I don't know when I'll get to review THE FAERIE PATH.


Also, don't forget about that contest for ASK AGAIN LATER by Jill A. Davis. Scroll down to the column entitled 'Buzz About a Book' for information

No comments: