Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Review: Gold in the Fire by Margaret Daley

Gold in the Fire
by Margaret Daley

Genre: Contemporary Inspirational Romance
Publisher: Harlequin/Steeple Hill
Price: $5.20 (together with Light in the Storm)

What I Liked:
Every time I read a romance novel about a firefighter, I'm increasingly impressed with myself (I had a bad experience...). And I have to say that both the ones I've reviewed here have made my foray back into the world of firefighters and romance a pleasant experience. First, Dee Henderson, then Margaret Daley. I was impressed with how much I enjoyed this book. I found Joshua (the hero) to be both believably good at his job and believably interesting as a hero. I found Darcy (the heroine) to be worthy of his attentions, and someone that I would want to be friends with. (Those are sort of my criteria for whether or not a heroine is worth reading.) Joshua was decidedly unsexualized, which I always find to be sort of a turn-off when I'm reading romance novels, because I have a hard time believing that men, being as visual as they are, no matter what their faith background, will not have some kind of struggle with sexual feelings (especially at the age Joshua was in the book). Yet, still, he managed to be someone that I believed as real, and someone that I would want to spend time with. Those are both good things. The sort of suspenseful element was interesting and well-done. All-in-all, a well-done inspirational romance novel. I'm looking forward to reading the second book in this volume.

Book Blurb:
On the job firefighter Joshua Markham has no problem taking risks, leaving his fate in God's hands. But opening his heart to young widow Darcy O'Brien requires a far greater leap of faith.

No comments: