Saturday, May 5, 2007

Sunday's Oldies but Goodies......

Greetings!

This week’s Oldie but Goodie is…..



Star Crossed
by Susan Krinard

Released August 1995

I love a good sci-fi/fantasy romance novel. I especially love the ones that take place on a world embroiled in conflict. When done correctly, the conflict acts to enhance the story, and strengthen the bond between the two main protagonists. And it does these things while sucking you into the story without you ever knowing it.

Star-Crossed accomplishes that in spades. Set on an alien world inhabited by both Humans and a race called the Kalians, Lady Ariane Burke-Marchand is in love with Rook Galloway. She is a human teenager, and her love is unreturned by the slightly older man, a Kalian.

During an uprising on their planet, Rook is believed to have murdered Ariane’s brother, and is arrested for murder – soon to be sentenced to like on the harshest prison-planet in the galaxy. But there is another, sinister plot happening behind the scenes – and the death of Ariane’s brother was only the beginning.

Fast forward eight years, and Ariane travels to the prison planet to get answers on what really happened the night her brother died. She is getting married in three weeks, and she wants the final chapters of that part of her life closed forever.

Which would have worked out just fine, had Rook not escaped and taken Ariane hostage - desperate to clear his name of a crime he still maintains he did not commit.

This book captured my interest immediately. The world-building in this novel is absolutely wonderful, and the different civilizations created for this story were fantastic. Another thing you will enjoy when you read this book is the way the author seams together several plot lines into one cohesive story. There was never a moment when I was scratching my head because I couldn’t follow the action or the story. Without wanting to give anything away, you will know who the bad guy is fairly soon, but this only adds to the dramatic element of the book. The love scenes in this book are highly sensual, and appropriate to the storyline.

You can visit the author’s website at
http://www.susankrinard.com/.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Kimber Li said...

This sounds like a really good one for a couple of reasons. One, as a reader, it sounds like an engaging story. Two, as a writer, I'm always on the look-out for stories similar to my own. I found the fact that the heroine started out as a teenager intriguing. Star Captains' Daughter has multiple plot threads too and seaming them together in a clear way has been a huge challenge!

Thank you, Lady B, for another great one!

I'm getting to the store this week and hoping to pick up the Penny Tree by Holly Kennedy for my review on Thursday.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

This review has me interested. I'm always interested in how other writers go about crafting new worlds. This one sounds awesome. And the romance has me thinking about West Side Story for some reason. As I read the review, I started singing, "A boy like that, who killed your brother! Forget that man, and find another..." LOL. I think in music all day every day. It's a sickness I tell ya! Great review, Lady Bronco.

Gwyneth

LadyBronco said...

Thanks, ladies - this is one of my all-time favorites. It's just a great story.