Monday, July 5, 2010

Review: The Prince's Royal Concubine by Lynn Raye Harris

The Prince's Royal Concubine
by Lynn Raye Harris

Genre: Series Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Harlequin Presents
Price: $4.12

What I Liked:
Okay, somehow, I've been on a Harlequin kick lately. But I don't really mean to review this many HQs in a row. It's just that I've read two really great ones lately. The Jillian Hart book that I reviewed last week. And this one.

This book was... fantastic is the only word I can come up with. I've read enough marginal books from Harlequin that I'm always skeptical. I've never read a really bad book from Harlequin, so I know it'll always be at least a decent experience, but a lot of them are sort of forgettable--in my opinion, anyway. I will never, ever forget this book. I know that it was melodramatic. I always expect this, even when I write romance myself. (Haha! Real, though.) I knew it was probably not a story that really happened. Or would ever happen.

But it was smokin. Sm-ok-in. The girl was a very interesting character. The hero was hot and deep. And, my favorite, the wounded hero. Fantastic. I would give it five stars, but I didn't like the ending very much. It sort of fizzled after a fantastic 85% of the narrative. Still, it's going in my keeper pile. The ending wasn't bad. Just not very fulfilling. Still. The hero made it all worthwhile. And the love story was very engaging. A very good book. I'm gonna have to read more of these Presents books now. I had a bad taste in my mouth after the last two, but this one renewed my interest in this line. Would also like to read more of Lynn Raye Harris's writing. Very good.

Book Blurb:
Two glittering royal houses…

Prince Cristiano di Savaré hunts his prey by ruthless means. Tonight’s pickings…Antonella Romanelli, crown princess of a rival country and part of a dynasty he has every reason to despise…

…one majestic seduction

Antonella is rocked by Cristiano’s unexpected magnetism. But there’s ice in his wolfish smile… She’s far from the promiscuous, spoiled socialite he believes her to be, but Cristiano is here to persuade her into compliance. If bedding her is what it takes, then it will make his mission all the more pleasurable…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this book. I've read everyone of Lynn's and they are incredible.

Gossip Cowgirl said...

Thanks, Marilyn. I just discovered her and am very impressed! :-)