Sunday, December 12, 2010

Kimber An's Book Recommendations for 2010

 
Good morning, Blog Buddies!  Since I stopped reviewing about half way through 2010, I decided not to do a Top Ten this year.  Instead, I'll provide you with general book recommendations for your holiday shopping lists.  It'll give you some variety for different age groups anyway.  On with the show!
.
SURE BLOOD by Susan Grant.  This one's not for the kiddies and I haven't finished reading it.  Despite the cover, it really is not Contemporary Erotica.  It's Science Fiction Romance with a Hot Mama Space Pirate.  How cool is that?  Very cool, I say.  Give this one to your friends who never got over Han Solo.
.
HARRY POTTER Everything!  Oookay, if I have to nail down my favorites, they would be THE SORCERER'S STONE for the books and THE GOBLET OF FIRE for the movies.  (Robert Pattinson is adorable as Cedric Diggory even though he's not blond, much cuter than in Twilight, although he's handsome in that movie too, but too pale.)  I'm American so I don't worry about being thrown in the Tower for saying J.K. Rowling is the right Queen of England, do I?  These books are instant classics and great for all ages, genders, and are generally loved by all genre of readers, except for those who can't see past the magical metaphors.
.
FIX IT AND FORGET IT COOKBOOK and CHEAP FAST GOOD!  These are cookbooks for the insanely busy parents you know.  If there's a DVD, CD, or audiobook version, get those so the people you give them to can just collapse and listen to it on television, computer, or iPod.  They'll appreciate this a lot, trust me.
.
HALF WAY HOME by Hugh Howey.  This is the most awesome Young Adult Science Fiction I've read this year, except for my own SUGAR RUSH, of course, and PEEPS.  A group of teenage colonists land on a planet, a bunch burn up in an abort program and the rest wake up, and suddenly have to fend for themselves with an indecisive controller who does not have their best interests in mind.  Here's My Review of HALF WAY HOME   P.S. Don't give into cultural attitudes that non-geeks and girls don't like Science Fiction!  This is more psychological than technobabble.

.
LEVIATHAN by Scott Westerfeld.  I was ho-hum on this one, but it is Young Adult and my daughter loved it, although she complained about the lack of romance. (That's my girl! Brings a tear to me eye.)  Here's Her Review of LEVIATHAN  Get it for the Steampunk fans.  There's a sequel, BEHEMOTH.  Also of Steampunk goodness, DREAM OF PERPETUAL MOTION, INCARCERON, and BONESHAKER.  We haven't had the chance to read these, but they sound excellent.
.
STOLEN INNOCENSE by Elissa Wall and Lisa Pulitzer   This is a good true-crime non-fiction, but, seriously, everyone ought to read it.  Americans tend to think *forced marriage and rape of children* only happens in other countries far away.  Well, the religious leader who coerced this young lady into an arranged marriage at the age of 14 right here in the United States is awaiting trial in Texas on charges of sexual assault of TWO of his own 'brides,' one of who was only TWELVE years old.  Right here in the United States right now.  Makes me want to throw up.
.
WHITE HOUSE NANNIES by Barbara Kline  This non-fiction is a lot more fun.  If you know someone who needs a nanny or wants to become a nanny, this is a gripping, yet good-humored story of a nanny agency owner helping out politcal parents.  I also recommend THE NANNY TEXTBOOK.
.
TAMING HER IRISH WARRIOR by Michelle Willingham  This is for the people on your list who love Historical Romance.  The title is typical Harlequin.  It was actually the hero who had to convince the lady.  Also, the Hero was BLOND. 
.
STAR WARS DK Readers   DK puts out some excellent readers in a huge variety, so you can buy them according to your child's interests.  They come in several different reading levels from absolute beginner to the totally proficient.  Here's my take on them-   How to Think Like a Homeschool Mom
.
AKIKO AND THE PLANET SMOO by Mark Crilley   You love Science Fiction and you want to bring up your girl to love it, right?  Get her this series.  My girl loved it and continues to love Science Fiction even though she's entered the age when it's generally considered 'not cool' for girls to love science or Science Fiction.  Boys like these books too.  They're great for about age 8 to 10
.  
GUARDIANS OF GA'HOOLE THE JOURNEY by Kathryn Lasky  This is for your 8 to 12 year olds or thereabouts, depending on reading ability.  The movie version comes out on DVD on the 19th and it is so going into my...I mean...my daughter's Christmas stocking.
.
PEEPS by Scott Westerfeld   My Review of PEEPS   I don't often connect, emotionally, with this author's characters, even though the plots and world building are always excellent, but I very much enjoyed the hero of this story.  It's a scientific take on vampires, awesome.
.
XOMBIES Apocalypticon by Walter Greatshell   I liked the first book in the series more, but this one was very good too.  The boys escaping the blue-skinned Xombies on their bikes is still vivid in my mind after so many months!  This one is not officially Young Adult, though there are teenage protagonists too.  This one's good for 16 through adult, I think.
.
ATLANTIS RISING by Alyssa Day  This Paranormal Romance novel is great for readers who enjoy mythology and ancient history too.  There's also some blood-sucking dead guys in it, if I recall correctly.
.
For the expectant or new parents on your list, SECRETS OF THE BABY WHISPERER and YOUR SELF-CONFIDENT BABY are my favorites as a nanny and a mommy.
.
For parents of older kids, two and up, get them 401 WAYS TO GET YOUR KIDS TO WORK AT HOME.
They'll love it, although their kids might hate you for life.
.
For the little kids on your list, HAND, HAND, FINGERS THUMB, and GOING ON A BEAR HUNT in board book format.   HOW TO MAKE AN APPLE PIE AND SEE THE WORLD and ABIYOYO for your three to eight year olds.
 
and MAMA, DO YOU LOVE ME?    and IS YOUR MAMA A LLAMA for the expectant mothers and mothers of young children to read out loud to them.  My babies wore these ones out and we've had to buy several replacement copies.  They come in board or picture book formats.
.
And last, but certainly not least, SUGAR RUSH by that brillient new author, what's her name?  Oh, yes, Kimber An!  Me! 
 
SUGAR RUSH at Decadent Publishing
This one's tagged as YA Paranormal, sometimes with Romance added.  So far, young people and adults alike enjoy it, but for different reasons.  Although there's a strong romantic element, I should probably warn you that it is not a Romance genre novel and that it is the first book in a series.  There are several elements missing which adult Romance genre readers expect, such as the standard Happily Ever After.  (Believe me, I love the HEA too.)  This book was written for teenagers.  Do you really want me to glamorize a seventeen year old girl getting married and making babies?  Can you imagine the hate mail from parents if I did?  I have daughters and a college plan too, you know.  Don't worry, Ophelia eventually matures into a kick-butt heroine who strolls off into the sunset with her true love in the very end.
;)

3 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I really like the last one.

Kimber Li said...

Yeah, I'm kinda fond of it too.

:)

Nayuleska said...

I loved Leviathan, and as for the last one - well, it's supremely awesome!!!