Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Review: The Keepers by Heather Graham

The Keepers by Heather Graham

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Harlequin Nocturne
Cost: $3.89 on Kindle!

What I Liked:
Well, I'd been a Heather Graham since I was a kid. But her most recent stuff left me a little cold. In fact, I haven't read a book of hers that I've liked in years. Until now! I don't know if it's the fact that I read books 2 and 3 in the series and already loved them, or if it's just that this was a great book and happened to be part of a great series as well. But this was really a great book.

Book one (Keepers) was a vampire romance, book two (Shifters) a shifter romance, book three (Wolven) a werewolf romance. Book two was my favorite, and this one (book one) was my least favorite. But still, I loved them all! So to be my least favorite in one of my favorite paranormal trilogies in a long time is a very good thing.

The hero in this book, Jagger, is the kind of vampire I like. Stoic, realistic, kinda edgy. Not too broody, not too dark. In other words, not a caraciture. He was real to me, which is unique. But I liked him a lot. And Fiona, the heroine in this book, was my favorite of the three sisters. The scene where her sisters burst in on her after she's just slept with Jagger is priceless. Loved it.

Aaah, Heather Graham, I am back to being a fan. Looking forward to more books like this.

Book Blurb:
At the core of New Orleans lie the otherworldly vampires and shape-shifters that hide in plain sight among mankind. As one of the Keepers, an elite group possessing superior skill and strength, Fiona MacDonald's duty is to maintain peace in a place where one vampire's bite could ignite war. When Detective Jagger DeFarge, a vampire, is called in at the discovery of a body drained of blood, both the detective and Fiona must join uneasy forces.

Jagger will stop at nothing to find the murderer— including working with the sensual and suspicious Fiona. As more die, it becomes clear that this isn't the work of an ordinary vampire. No one is safe. So when the killer's attention turns to Fiona, will Jagger risk destroying his own species to protect the woman he so passionately desires?

The Keepers: Three extraordinary sisters, balancing the duties of their birthrights and the yearnings of their hearts…

~ Rebecca Lynn

2 comments:

Kimber Li said...

Great reviews, Rebecca, and this sounds like a rivoting series. My personal opinion on why werewolf stories are so engaging is the sense of loyalty in the pack. Loyalty is not a common virtue in our society today. In fact, very few people seem to even know what it is and too many seem to think they can demand it, rather than earn it.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Rebecca I think I'm going to buy this book after reading your review. I'd like to recommend another romance novel called Carnal Weapon by Peter Hoffmann. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, the French government employed young attractive women as industrial spies to seduce American engineers and scientists in order to obtain their trade secrets. This book shows you how they did it.