Sunday, December 12, 2010

Writing Stories and Resolutions

   So part of being a writer, it seems, is making goals and deadlines. But for new authors like myself, the idea of producing a lot of writing relatively quickly is very daunting. I've been asking myself whether or not "write another novel" is even something I should consider adding to my list of New Year's Resolutions for 2011.
  But I think it's important to note that big challenges (like writing an entire novel) don't have to be quite so imposing. If you're going to write a novel, I think the key thing is to write each day, even if it's only a sentence. Constant progress is the key, especially if you're like me, and the muse only visits about once a day for about forty minutes or so worth of good, solid writing.
  If writer's block is your Achilles' heel, I would highly recommend using a kit of games called The Writer's Toolbox. There are four games in all, and personally, I use the Sixth Sense cards the most by far. I don't know why they work - something about stimulating other parts of the brain or whatnot - but they really do work.
  I've found that having my short story "The Devil's Bidding" published has been great because it's giving me valuable experience in contacting and finding review sites, seeking out promotional opportunities, and running contests. I would highly recommend that new authors get a short story published as an e-book, because it's a great tool to use for getting a feel for the writing market.
  Also, I would suggest carrying a mini notebook and a pen around with you if possible (this is easier for ladies with purses) because you never know when inspiration might hit.
  Good luck in the New Year with your writing. Make resolutions for yourself and your writing, keep growing, and don't give up!
  Guess that means I'm going to jot down "write another novel" after all...

2 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

The carrying of a notebook is something I do almost all the time. I jot down thinks that strike such as the scent in store, the way a person walks, the color of the sky, any little phrases I might sometime use in a novel. Names of places and people can also strike me as unique or interesting. They could all end up in my book.
Great advice for all writers not just beginners.

Tia Nevitt said...

I like those pretty little notebooks with a spiral binding, so I can tuck my skinny Zebra pen in there. I am currently out of notebooks and really need to find another one!