Sunday, November 21, 2010

Linda Gerber on YA Contemporaries and Paranormals


I’m pleased for the opportunity to drop into Enduring Romance and talk about writing for a bit. I’m honored to be here, among fellow romantics. Kimber asked if I would discuss what inspired me to make the switch from contemporary YA to paranormal YA, and what I’ve learned along the way.
.
The strange truth is that I actually made the switch from fantasy/paranormal to contemporary to get my foot in the publishing door. I know – crazy right? I mean, take a look at any YA section in any bookstore across the country, and you’d think that paranormal would be the golden ticket. But that’s not how it worked for me. I’m a firm believer in being prepared for opportunities in whichever form they take, so although what I gravitated toward was writing paranormal, when I heard about an opportunity to write for Puffin’s Students Across the Seven Seas series, I didn’t think twice about going contemporary for a book or so.
.
One book turned into five contemporary YA novels for Puffin – two S.A.S.S. books, NOW AND ZEN and THE FINNISH LINE, and a mystery series, DEATH BY BIKINI, DEATH BY LATTE and DEATH BY DENIM. I also have a contemporary Middle Grade series in the works, LIGHTS, CAMERA, CASSIDY.
.
So, although my current release, TRANCE, takes me back to my love of the paranormal, I’m not sure you could say I’ve made a switch. I’ll still be doing contemporary, but I’m thrilled to be able to play with a little magic along the way.
.
One of the things I’ve learned in writing both is that no matter what the genre, the elements of a good romance remain the same. In both, we need strong, appealing characters, and conflict, conflict, conflict.
.
In both the paranormal and the “real” world, the heroine’s outlook is shaped by past experiences. She possesses an attitude, skill or expertise that makes her special. Conversely, she usually has a lot to learn about herself.
.
I found that the leading men share many similar traits as well. They genuinely care about the heroine, they are strong but vulnerable, and they have personal issues to overcome (which, of course, they will overcome so they can be with the heroine.)
.
The joy of contemporary romance is that it’s accessible. It’s grounded in the real world. It could happen to you.
.
The fun of paranormal romance is that anything can happen. A whole new set of possibilities and conflicts opens up with the creation of world or mythology.
.
In short, I’m thrilled for the chance to dabble in writing paranormal again, but I’m also glad I opened myself up to contemporary, because in it I’ve found another love – and another avenue for romance.
.
BIO –
.
Linda Gerber recently returned to life in the Midwest after four years in Japan, where she served as the Regional Advisor for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. She currently lives and writes in Dublin, OH, blissfully ignoring her husband, four kids, and one very naughty puppy.
.
Please pop over to Linda Gerber's Website to learn more about her and her wonderful books.  Thank you, Linda!

2 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Nice to meet you, Linda. I believe it can only help an author to write in more than one genre. It helps keep the ideas fresh.

Nayuleska said...

Hi Linda, great to hear from you (Trance was cool!). I'm seeing more and more writers write in several genres these days, and I think it works well (says me with wips most definitely in different genres).