Saturday, November 27, 2010

ROAR! Leslie's Top Ten List - The Year of The Tiger

Hey there everyone! Well, 2010 has been a strange year for me, and I'm sure you'll see that reflected in my top ten list - a mash-up of classic literature, new arrivals and self-help books. For me, the Year of the Tiger has most certainly lived up to its legend of being a year of drastic change. The books on this list have inspired me to try and become a better person and a better writer. That being said, here is my top ten:

1. Sugar Rush by Kimber An
 I want to start out by saying that although Kimber An is one of the nicest, most helpful writers I've had the opportunity to interact with, Sugar Rush made it to the top of my list entirely on its own merits. This enchanting YA novel introduces us to twin sisters Ophelia and Bianca Dawson. Ophelia is our star and Bianca is a loveable fashionista. I particularly liked how there are numerous Princess Bride references and how the hero turns out to be a martial artist. What really set this book at the top for me, though, is its beautiful portrayal of true love.

2. Beyond The Dream Catcher by Rita Hestand
 This is an amazing novel about how love can help people to overcome even the most daunting of life's obstacles. What amazes me is how well the author manages to portray characters who are very different from one another, all the while keeping the story flowing nicely.

3. The Temple of the Heart by Richard A. Anderson
 I am admittedly biased with this one, since it was written by my late stepfather. The Temple of the Heart follows the journey of monk Joseph Banquo. At times in my life, I have felt similar to Joseph as he is searching for some unknown thing that will fulfill him, along the way dealing with lonliness and emotional desolation. I like this book because it shows me my stepfather before I knew him. I like it even more because it reminds me not to neglect my soul in the course of my life's journeys.

4. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
 This is a book that quite honestly took me entirely by surprise. I didn't think I'd like it at all and I'd only read it because it was required for a Postmodern Literature class I took. I ended up falling in love with Vonnegut's novel, with its quirky charm - with its mustard gas and roses. I just recently found out that a local community college will be producing a theater version, and I can't wait to see it.

5. Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by John Gray
I honestly believe that I understand men way better for having read this book. So many things were explained to me that would have otherwise remained mysteries. Men have intimacy cycles, and they need to have caves to retreat to, and they talk about themselves for reasons other than ego. Who knew? Well John Gray knew. Thank you, sir.

6. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

An inspiring love story that teaches us that we don't always know as much as we think we do.

7. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This is the book to read if you love beautiful imagery. Allow Fitzgerald to enchant you with words.

8. Cyrano De Bergerac by Edmond Rostand

Rostand blends comedy and tragedy in a way I wouldn't have thought possible.

9. Glastonbury Tor by Leann Hardy

What I love about this novel is that it blends historical fiction and mythology in a way that is simply awe-inspiring.

10. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne

I was this book's biggest skeptic before I actually read it. It seemed to me to be a feel-good simplistic book that covered as a get-rich scheme for the author. Only, once I followed the book, it worked. I felt a lightness of heart. My life seemed to genuinely get better.

So there's my top ten for what has been an incredible Year of the Tiger.

1 comment:

Kimber Li said...

Awwww, you're so sweet, Leslie! And you've been an excellent critique partner too. Everyone, be sure to check out her YA stories coming up too.